Below you will find the Triathlon Nova Scotia Points Series rules and procedures including the responsibilities of the Points Series Administrator, Race Directors and athletes.
There will be a male and female point series and the male and female winner for each race will set the standard for that race. The winner’s times will be used along with each athlete’s finish time to award points for that race. The formula that will be used to determine the number of points awarded in a given race will be:
p = winning time ÷ athletes time x 100
In the event of Triathlon Nova Scotia Provincial Championship Events (Olympic and Sprint Distance) the maximum number of points awarded will change from 100 to 110.
In order to be eligible for the Triathlon Nova Scotia Points Series, an athlete must:
- Be a member in good standing of Triathlon Nova Scotia
- Have competed at a minimum of three events in the given category (or total events for Overall Points Series consideration)
- Have volunteered for Triathlon Nova Scotia in the calendar year (this may include serving on the Triathlon Nova Scotia Board, working on a Triathlon Nova Scotia Committee, being a Race Director, working with a Triathlon Nova Scotia sanctioned club, volunteering at a race, etc.)
Overall Points Series
There will be an award for the top three overall male and female athletes in the points series. If the athlete has met the eligibility requirements, they will be assigned a score based upon their best three results from the entire series. All athletes who meet the eligibility requirements will be ranked and the top three male and female athletes will be awarded the Overall Points Series prizes.
Overall Race Category Winners (Duathlon/Sprint/Olympic)
There will be an award for the top three male and female athletes per race category. If the athlete has met the eligibility requirements, they will be assigned a score for that race category. The score will be determined using the best three results from that race category and all athletes who have met the criteria will be ranked to determine the race category winners. Athletes who win in the Overall Race Category will not be considered for Age Group Prizes.
Age Group Race Category Winners
There will be an award for up to three male and female athletes per five year age group per race category. If the athlete has met the eligibility requirements, they will be assigned a score for that race category. The score will be determined using the best three results from that race category and all athletes in the five year age group who have met the criteria will be then be ranked to determine age group winners.
The athlete(s) who competes in the highest number of Triathlon Nova Scotia events will also be recognized with a Participation Award.
The Points Series will also be used to determine the Triathlon Nova Scotia Provincial Team for the following season. In order to be eligible for selection to the Provincial Team an athlete must be eligible for the Points Series and:
- Be one of the three overall male/female Points Series Winners
- Be one of the three Sprint/Olympic Category Points Series Winners;
- Be the male/female Sprint/Olympic Age Group Winner
- Be one of the top three male/female finishers at the TNS Provincial Championship Race.
Tie Breaking Procedure
In the event of a tie, the following system will be used to break the tie:
- The result for the 4th best race in the category/overall for each athlete will be compared and the athlete with the highest point total in the 4th race will win the tie break. If the athletes remain tied, this will continue through races as long as each athlete has a result to consider.
- If the athletes remain tied, all races in the category/overall where both athletes competed will be compared. The athlete with the lowest cumulative time across all events in the category /overall will win the tie break.
- If the athletes remain tied, the athlete with the highest number of races in the category/overall will win the tie break.
- If the athletes remain tied, a coin toss will be used to break the tie.
Points Series Administrator
The Points Series Administrator will:
- Compile the points awarded for a given race within a week of the results being finalized.
- Compile the Point Series standings to date within a week of race results being finalized.
- Submit the individual race points and standings to the website administrator/ communications director to be published/distributed.
- Address any changes to points series as raised by athletes.
Race Directors will:
- Ensure that race results are available to Points Series Administrator as soon as practical following a race.
- Check individual race points awarded to ensure there are no obvious errors.
- Ensure they meet eligibility requirements for the Points Series.
- Check Points Series results when posted and contact Points Series Administrator within 14 days of points being posted to address any issues.
- Email Points Series Administrator to indicate when/where they fulfilled their volunteering requirement.