What equipment should I bring to a triathlon?
- Swim suit or tri suit
- Swimming goggles – swim cap will be provided if they are required
- Bicycle – you can use any bike, but road bikes are faster
- Bicycle helmet – must be certified for bike use
- Racing shirt – must wear a shirt covering the torso during the bike and run portions of the race. It’s not necessary to put a shirt on if you are wearing a torso covering swim suit or tri suit.
- Running shoes
- Water bottle(s) – for your bike and in transition for a quick sip
- Bicycle shoes – if your bike requires them
- Swimming towel
- Wetsuits are recommended for open water swims but many beginners don’t have them
- Safety pins (or a race belt) – you need them to affix the competitor’s bib to your shirt
- Sun glasses
- Sun hat
- Sun block (Don’t apply sun screen before you are body marked or the marker will smudge.)
Things usually provided by the event
- Competitor’s bib (number)
- Swim cap
- Souvenir t-shirt or other item
- Chip timing bracelet
- Post race food
You will only have a small space next to your bike in the transition zone to store you gear so don’t plan on bringing too much to the race unless you have someone else who can look after it or leave it in your car.